Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Thrift Store Treasure

My children are growing up too fast.Way too fast. My daughter is a college grad and lives way too far away.  My son is in college and isn't home very often.I could write many blogs on my wonderful kids, but that is for another day.
My sweet babies 1993



  With my daughter living in another state,her tiny bedroom is in need of a makeover. I would love for her to come home for a visit and have a comfy pretty room to relax in. I just happened to have inherited a full size mattress and box spring set which would be great if I had a pretty bed for it. Enter the Thrift Store Treasure :)






The headboard was very scratched up, but petite in size which was perfect for the room.












The footboard was splintered at the bottom and was a mess. Part of the side rail supports were broken off.





After wood glue and c-clamp, wood filler and sanding
My husband gave me a lesson on using the drill press and I repaired the side rail supports. I spent a little time prepping. I washed w TSP, did a little bit of sanding, but I spent most of my prep time on the splintered footboard. Ok, ready to paint. I went with an antique white homemade chalk paint recipe and some distressing.
I love how the pretty details become more obvious after painting and distressing.


I really love the petite-ness of this bed.

The footboard is one of my favorite parts of the bed. Its small size does not eat up the limited room space, but it gives the bed a nice ending.
So happy with this bed :)

I gave the bed a good sanding between coats and used a tack cloth before the next coat of paint. I finished the bed with a coat of Fiddes and Sons light wax polish which I LOVE. It gives a beautiful sheen with no glossy shine.

This was a pretty quick project. It was super fun to transform it from dark dreary and beat up to light and fresh in a short time. One of the best parts of this treasure was the price....$15!!


The repaired splintered footboard.Looking good.


Things I learned from the Thrift Store Treasure:





  • How to use the drill press
  • How to counter-sink screws which I'm sure will come in handy in future projects
  • How much I really LOVE Fiddes and Sons wax! 
  • How I love the chalk paint "forgiveness". It seems to fill in some of the scratches I don't sand.
  • How much I love the finished super smoothness of the chalk paint after coverage and light sanding. 







5 comments :

  1. You made such a pretty bed! You are right about the distressing, it really brings out the details. I bet your daughter loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness this is AWESOME!!!!! Seriously can I be your daughter? :) I am so impressed with this, absolutely charming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice transformation in a $15 bed! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful job you did. Looks stunning! Found you via MMS FFF. Great work. Greetings from Australia.

    ReplyDelete