Saturday, February 1, 2014

Estate Sale Buffet

There is an estate sale store in my town that I found last year. I love it there. Unfortunately it is more expensive than our thrift stores, but they always have great items and will occasionally have a good sale when inventory is high. I had been looking for a bigger piece of furniture for my entryway when I found the perfect piece.I stalked it for a few months. I went weekly to the estate store and made the same offer every week. After a few months of the item not selling I was finally able to make my purchase:)





 It was really dinged up, but it was interesting w nice legs and lots of storage. There were pieces of trim around all of the drawers that had been broken off, but most the broken-off pieces were in a drawer available to be glued back on. My "before" pictures really don't show how much repair was needed. 



Black wooden trim around edge of drawers mid-repair. All drawers had sections of missing trim.


Trim around drawers after repair, paint and glaze.

I spent lots of time cleaning, sanding ,gluing and sanding again. I primed w an oil base primer, then painted the body off-white followed by an antique glaze.  I used a semi gloss black for the top.



Pretty legs
I love how the pretty details are more obvious after glazing.






 One of the original wooden knobs was missing and I couldn't find another knob close enough, so I used all of the original knobs which I painted black, then found 2 small black metal knobs for the top center drawer. 




This is the biggest project I have done so far when you consider the repairs and the painting. It is just the right size for the space I have. It has wonderful storage as a bonus.

Things I learned from this project:
  • Take more pictures throughout the entire process.
  • Don't be afraid of a piece with some needed repairs.
  • Look into chalk paint as an alternative to cut down on prep/priming!
  • I don"t like semi gloss on my furniture
  • Don't overdo the glaze! A little goes a long way.


5 comments :

  1. My favorite style of Buffet! It turned out lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! I think you got the glaze just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is perfection! Nice job! Coming over from www.missmustard.com.

    Tara Corley
    www.palmettochicks.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive comments! This was a fun project!

      Delete
  4. I love your "things learned"--because every project I've finished seems to have some! And good for you on waiting them out until your price was accepted--patience is a valuable skill.

    ReplyDelete