Sunday, June 1, 2014

2 Little Tables

Great news...my daughter moved back to Florida and is only 1 hr away now :)  It is great to have her close to home and so fun to be able to see her more easily than when she was 1200 mi away! She has moved into a nice apartment and is looking for some furniture to add here and there. Furniture that may not be her " forever furniture" , if there is such a thing, but affordable pieces to use for now. She has the basics, but definitely needs a few pieces. She and I found a cute bedside table a few weeks ago at an estate sale. We bought it for $8 and she wanted it painted and distressed in a medium gray. We went to Lowes and she picked out the color. I am happy to do the labor, but not decide on colors!

The "before" is a somewhat dreary table, not in bad shape, but dusty and neglected. It had a laminate top so I painted w zinzer primer as a 1st coat, then 2 coats of homemade chalk paint , sanding and distressing.




This one was a quick weekend project.


I like the layered paint look on the edges.

My supervisor approves.


We hit a number of thrift stores looking for end tables, but no luck. I got an idea of what she was looking for though and the following weekend I found a $15 solid wood end table at an estate sale. I liked the front detail and I loved the legs.


I sent her a few pictures, got a thumbs up, and started cleaning it up. This table was very dusty and a little grimey so I washed w TSP first, then painted w homemade chalk paint , sanded and distressed.

I sprayed the cute hardware black.


I love this little table.
I waxed both w Fiddes and Sons wax. Super smooth finish!


I have been wanting to try lining a drawer, so I used some fabric I had and put it on w modge podge. I painted a few coats and sanded it in the morning. It is super cute. I wish I had wrapped the fabric over the drawer and on the outside of the drawer as well. Maybe next time.


2 Cute little tables for my daughters new apartment, both from local estate sales. 

Things I learned from these tables:
  • Reusing existing hardware is always good. It keeps cost down.
  • I love Fiddes and Sons wax
  • I need some practice w drawer-lining/modge podge!
  • Shopping/thrifting/furniture rehab is always more fun when you are with someone special  :)





No comments :

Post a Comment