Sunday, August 31, 2014

Estate Sale Chair Makeover

I went on a recent estate sale outing with my shopping buddy Laura. We had 2 local sales to go to and based on the ad I saw, our expectations were low. Well we hit the jackpot. I love a day like that! We both found a few items we were interested in. I found this lonely little chair sitting off by itself. I loved the swirly arms and the detail in the back, but it was a bit dreary. Unfortunately my "before" pictures are bad. The chair was a reasonable price and I couldn't resist.


















I wiped it down with a rag to dust it off and painted with 2 coats of homemade chalk paint. I went a bit more bold in the color than my usual choice. I think I like it. 















I sanded between coats, then sanded and distressed after the 2nd coat was dry. I distressed the arms a bit more than I intended to, but it's done now!
After wiping down with a tack cloth I waxed with Fiddes and Sons clear wax.

The seat was sturdy but covered in an old gold fabric. I found a beautiful print and covered over the seat without removing the old fabric.
I'm happy with the new chair. The pretty detailed back and the swirly arms stand out more with the beautiful paint color and distressing. I love the finished project.




Things I learned form this project:


  • check photos before going to the next step in a project in case you need to redo photos
  • take a break during distressing /stand back to check progress/keep from distressing too far


2 comments :

  1. I LOVE the new color of the frame and the seat! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great chair! I love the colors. You did a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete